Mata Hari Wings Experiment Concluded

The Mata Hari Wings Experiment is complete! I’m really pleased with how it turned out and had a fantastic time working with all my Choreography students and a very special thanks to Emma, Marlin, Jess and Michaela who joined me for extra rehearsals, costume preparation and the final performance at the Princess Farhana show this afternoon. Thank you to Alia for putting on the show and to Princess Farhana for an awesome performance and workshop.

So, from the beginning.

My first inspirations were recorded here.

Although I watched all of these at the beginning, I didn’t refer back to them much during the process of choreography, however clearly some things stuck with me and emerged in the final product – which I will include at the end of this post.

Screen shot 2013-03-24 at 9.38.58 PM Screen shot 2013-03-24 at 9.41.44 PM

Many of the original sequences and ideas for formations, for example partners working in opposition also survived. The final formations however was partially a product of circumstance, as it was only in the last two weeks or so of rehearsal that I confirmed how many students could do the performance.

Similarly, costume and the overall look became a product of circumstance – what items did students and I have that we could pool and hopefully work into a cohesive image? What materials would I find on the end of rolls at Lincraft?

Having said that, somehow circumstance did fall into line with the images that inspired me.

I found sepia tones and the rest of the troupe provided colour.

Screen shot 2013-03-24 at 9.50.20 PM Screen shot 2013-03-24 at 9.54.25 PM

We referenced traditional Javanese dance, mostly in costume, but also in the tilting travelling movement of the Peacock dance.

Indonesian Dance-Feb 24 2008 - 10 nn ccScreen shot 2013-03-24 at 9.39.44 PM

Many of the Isis Wings poses we workshopped in class made it into the final product.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Finally, I tackled my own section, again so much a product of circumstance. I realised close to show time that I needed to shave a minute off the song as it was too long for the overall show. That minute came off my solo, probably for the better considering the space and distractions I work with.

Screen shot 2013-03-24 at 10.03.50 PM

Then I drew inspiration from mythology – imagining my piece as a dance of the Phoenix or Simurgh.

Alright! Without further ado – here is the final product – performed at the Princess Farhana Gala Show, The Centre Ivanhoe, Sunday 24 March.

1 thought on “Mata Hari Wings Experiment Concluded

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close